Friday, February 6, 2009

Smart Babes Profile 1: Natalie Portman

First of all, I wanted to thank all of the followers of my blog! I am very grateful and flattered that you find my thoughts worth reading. Thank you!

Today, I begin a new section of my blog dedicated to profiling real life smart babes.

For the next several weeks, I will highlight women from various fields: media, entertainment, academic, business, philanthropy, etc. who I think you will agree are incredible sexy.

And a large part of their (and anyone's sexiness), I will argue, come from their intelligence.

First up is Natalie Portman.

Natalie is fluent in English, Hebrew, and French and has studied Japanese, German and Arabic.

She graduated with honours from Harvard University.

She has taught at Columbia University in March 2006 as a guest lecturer on a course on terrorism and counterterrorism, where she spoke about her film V for Vendetta.

She is passionate about math and science.

While still in high school, her 1998 high school paper on the "Enzymatic Production of Hydrogen" was entered in the Intel Science Talent Search.

At Harvard, she co-authored two research papers that were published in professional scientific journals. And in 2002, she contributed to a study on memory called "Frontal Lobe Activation During Object Permanence".

She has said, "I'd rather be smart than a movie star."

Fortunately, she shows that you can be both.